With the looming 2024 presidential race and a current administration that many conservatives view with suspicion, it’s easy to overlook instances where unity and bipartisan respect still shine through. One such moment recently graced the nation when leaders from both parties converged at Ground Zero to commemorate the 9/11 attacks.
Despite the ongoing tensions in the political sphere, seeing NYC leaders of both past and present, including prominent figures like Ron DeSantis and Vice President Kamala Harris, coming together to remember the tragic event of 9/11, brought a sense of unity, even if fleeting.
Why this moment matters:
- For a few hours, the nation was reminded of the unity and strength that rose from the ashes of the tragic 9/11 attack. Politics took a backseat.
- The event offered a rare moment of bipartisan respect in a time when many believe the country is more divided than ever, with a significant portion placing blame on the perceived weaknesses and alleged corruptions of the current Democratic administration.
- Such gatherings provide hope that amidst the political wrangling, there still exist points of commonality and shared respect. This is something the nation desperately needs, especially as we approach another major election.
But, it’s not just about remembering; it’s about reflecting on how far we’ve come. Since the 9/11 attacks:
- There’s been a 68% decrease in global terrorist attacks, according to the Global Terrorism Database.
- The U.S has invested over $500 billion in homeland security to ensure that such a tragedy doesn’t happen on American soil again.
- However, internal divisions have grown, with a whopping 78% of Americans believing that the country is more divided now than ever, as per a recent Gallup poll.
While such gatherings and show of unity are refreshing, they also serve as a reminder. A reminder that unity and bipartisanship, even if it feels fleeting, is not impossible. As the nation gears up for the 2024 elections, voters will be on the lookout for leaders who can bridge divides, foster unity, and propel the nation forward to a brighter future.
Feel inspired? Passionate about the future of our country? Subscribe to our newsletter to stay informed, share this article with like-minded individuals, and delve deeper into topics that matter.